Saturday, July 5, 2014

40K Rumors: UPDATE! - Space Wolf Codex May be Coming


40K Rumors: Fenris Rising Again

UPDATED

Updated material at bottom, headed in RED.

Ever since I read Norse mythology in middle school I was hooked; fascinated; couldn't get enough. I was a Norse fan for the rest of my life, long before Marvel films made Thor and the Norse mythos (their version) a thing in popular culture today. So naturally I gravitated towards the Space Wolves when I was looking for a second army to expand into. Really, it was a no brainer for me. The Wolves culture is based on the Norse mythos I so love, they can excel at assault (which I prefer) and well, just look at the models - made of pure awesome.

So when I start to hear rumors about the next Space Wolf codex coming out I predictably start to get excited and I have been hearing these rumors since last year. I've hear rumors that we were going to get a new codex late last year and of course, that didn't happen. With this in mind you may not be surprised that I look at GW release schedule rumors with skepticism. Unless I start to hear the same rumor from many different sources I will not put much credence into such rumors. Well, two of the big boys of the 40K blogosphere are now reporting rumors that a new codex is in the works for release. They both list different codex time frames but generally right now, rumors point to a Space Wolf codex in the Fall or Winter.

The rumor roundup:

UPDATES:

From: BOLS
Dateline: 7/5/2014
Author: Larry Vela
Story: breaking-white-dwarf-24-and-7th.html

The Rumor:
Space Wolves vs. Orks boxed set called Stormclaw to be featured in upcoming White Dwarf Magazine.

My Take:
Nice to see some Wolf Love. Yes, Wolf fans (like me) will buy this set then promptly sell off the stoopid Orks to stoopid Ork players. But what we really want is the codex. Does this hint to a new codex sooner on the horizon than later? Maybe. The stock certainly has risen for it. But so far I still see the codex on schedule with the other rumors for this Fall or Winter. The balance has tilted towards Fall over Winter but not by much IMHO.

From: Faeit 212
Dateline: 7/5/2014
Author: Faeit 212
Story: 7th-edition-starter-set-is-here.html

The Rumor:
7th Edition Starter Box pre-orders beginning next week. Faeit 212 believes this is proof of the Space Wolf codex being next.

My Take:
I'm much more cautious about saying this is proof that we get the Space Wolf codex next (Fall or sooner). I've been burned by too many SW codex rumors in the past. I hope it is true and if it is I'd like to see it in mid to late Fall so to give the Ork codex some breathing room to play itself out first.

Rumors from Last Month:

From: BOLS
Dateline: 6/27/2014
Author: Larry Vela
Story: 40k-rumors-of-wolves-and-vampires

The Rumor:
Space Wolves codex will be out this fall in a strange sharing of release times with Blood Angels.

My Take:
Hmm. Odd and peculiar to release two codex in such a tight window? Goes against the recent GW trend of slowing down the release schedules from the whiplash pace of last year - which I loathed. I applaud the slower pace and I hope they keep it up. I suspect that GW will either push one or the other codex this fall and shoot the other one around Christmas time. Christmas Wolves!

From: Faeit 212
Dateline: 6/27/2014
Author: Faeit 212
Story: release-schedule-slight-push-back

The Rumor:
Space Wolves out in February of next year. They list a long litany of releases for the rest of the year.

My Take:
This rumored release schedule is too ambitious to pan out but like all rumors there is some truth in the pudding. What strikes me is that Dark Eldar are rumored to release in November, ahead of Space Wolves in February. I mean really? Does anyone even still care about the stoopid Xenos Dark Eldar? Space Wolves around Christmas time makes much more sense - they are popular and can drive sales for Xmas gifts. After Christmas everyone is broke.

In Conclusion:
Hoping for Wolves for Christmas but sooner (Fall) is just fine with me! As more rumors hit I will post them and hopefully we can start putting together the puzzle to find a truth in all these rumors.

Updated: With the new rumors I'm leaning towards a Fall codex release. But you never know.


No comments:

Post a Comment